Monday, December 4, 2017

Urban Sketch or Plein Air Painting? What matters?

Correspondent: Beverly Choltco-Devlin

When I first joined Urban Sketchers-Tacoma, I came to my first outings trying to figure out the transition from formal watercolor painter (who often painted en plein air) to the art of sketching. I had also engaged in urban sketching prior, but that was mostly in pen or pencil, and I certainly did not know the term "urban sketching" as an appellation for what I had been doing on a hit or miss (mostly miss) basis since my first outing to New York City with my high school art class a half century ago.

Recently we had a repeat outing the Seymour Conservatory in Wright Park in Tacoma, a beautiful location. The Conservatory was the location of one of the first Urban Sketch outings I attended a couple of years ago after I had first moved to the Pacific Northwest.

Both outings were meaningful and similar in the camaraderie that takes place, the chilly weather that made my hands shake, wishing I had brought fingerless glove and the challenges of depicting a large glass structure with complex angles and the nuances of representing the translucency of the panels comprising the building.

I present here my two different "sketches" for comparison.

This one was completed in its entirety at that first outing in April 2015:



And here is the second done two months ago in October 2017:





As you can see (hopefully) these two "sketches" depict the same building with very similar conditions (did I mention my cold hands?) in terms of general lighting, point of view, perspective, etc.

The difference is with the treatment of the subject.  I believe, now, that the original work is more a plein air painting; I spent the entire time outside on this one view. The second would more accurately be described as a sketch.

The question is: Does the distinction matter?

I do not believe it does except to me personally. I believe I have grown a lot over the past two and a half years in my art. By observing my fellow sketchers and learning and growing with them, I have discovered the following:

  • Every sketch/painting does not have to be perfect. I have learned that it is perfectly fine to let go of my compulsive need to get everything right and accurate
  • Quick loose sketches can often be more lively and dynamic than a formal painting
  • I need not be terrified of sharing my work among other artists or online
  • I have become more bold in my palette, a lesson learned from observing my fellow sketchers over the last years. 
  • Each painting or sketch is comprised of a learning experience, whether recognized or not
  • When the same subject is drawn or painted more than once we can see subtle changes to the environment we are sketching. These differences, even if we are not cognizant at the time, are evidence of the documentary role that Urban Sketching serves. In this case:
    • The large tree was even taller
    • The foliage in the front had changed due to fall color.
    • Though the days were both sunny, the light was a little different due the first being in spring and the second in fall. 
    • The Conservatory wings were now covered in black plastic film. 
    • A car was present during the first outing, but not the second 
  • My sketching style has become faster and more loose
  • It is OK to say: "My hands are cold and numb and I am going inside (or elsewhere) to sketch" which I did. 

Most important perhaps, though, are the changes in my heart and soul and mind about being a part of this amazing group of artists.  At the first outing I was still a bit nervous around my fellow sketchers, intimidated by those who were so accomplished, a bit shy. On this most recent outing I felt a true sense of belonging to this amazing group, a sense of friendship, a sense of simultaneous individuality and common community purpose. 

Does it matter if what we do is classified as a plein air painting or an urban sketch? For purposes of posting on the official website, both these works meet the criteria of both. What is important is that we are creating, we are documenting, we are recording observations and we are communicating through visual means with our fellow artists and the world at large. 

Correspondent: Beverly Choltco-Devlin

2 comments:

  1. You're right -- the label doesn't matter at all. But that you are thinking about and asking yourself these process questions IS important, because you are learning about yourself. Both of your works here are beautiful, but in different ways, and I agree that the later one is looser and fresher. How wonderful to hear that your experience of being an urban sketcher is so fulfilling beyond the sketching itself!

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate this thoughtful post.

    ReplyDelete

Due to the number of spam comments, moderation has been turned on. If this is a legitimate comment, it will be allowed within 24 hours.